Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Diet is Forever


I tried to read Skinny Bitch. Many trusted friends swore by it. “It will change your life!” “You will never look at meat the same way!” The title was appealing. Skinny Bitch. Isn’t that what every woman says to herself when passing a supermodel on the sidewalk? Or whispers as a tiny waist-ed co-worker saunters past in impossibly tall heels?

I made an earnest effort, even bought the book because I thought it would be a keeper. I get it – the conversational prose, the ‘no-bull’ tactics to nutrition, the fear mongering to turn omnivores to a vegans … but do you have to talk down to me to get your point across?

In record time the book found its way back to a Borders (RIP) the same day it came home. Mistake number one: Buying a book without ever opening the cover. Mistake number two: thinking a diet book would magically make me skinny. An apology should be issued here for my lovers of this book: I’m sorry. It’s just not for me.

If you’re looking for a book about food and diet that is honest and aware, pick up Michael Pollan’s Omivores Dillema. I’m working through it right now. Also, watch the documentary Food, Inc. As a consumer of food you should increase your knowledge about the food industry and understand how what you consume is not what it appears to be.
My last two rants from my soapbox: 

(1) I hate hate HATE when people say to me, “I am on a diet!” Images of cabbage soup and slim fast shakes fill my head. The first definition of the word “diet”: a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed – fourth on the list d : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight.

I could expound on this all day. Everyone is on a diet. You may be on a gluten-free diet, a vegan diet… as long as you are putting food in your mouth, you are on a diet. If you want to use definition four, see to it that you are modifying your diet to be nutritious and sustainable. Make meaningful decisions to eat fresher and purer foods and develop healthy habits for life.

(2) Just because you are trying to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle does not mean you must end your love affair with food. I listened to this interview with author Jane McClaren. Pick up a copy of her book Honest Eating. I’m going to do it, you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment