Friday, March 26, 2010

Get Fit Carlie at Home: 15 minute circuit

A year ago I invested in a pair of five-pound hand weights to keep around the house along with a yoga mat. I used my $15 gym for light circuits that complimented my cardio workouts, but they also acted as a great substitute for days I needed a quick workout and didn’t have time for the 20 minute commute to and from the gym.

I recently moved into a new house and most of my stuff has been misplaced – this includes one of my hand weights. Without a pair to use, I thought circuits would be a lost cause. But I woke up from a post-work nap and had an hour and a half to get a workout, shower, and dinner before I needed to be at a NCAA Sweet 16 Party.

I found the one hand weight I had and a can of paint. I moved my stereo to the living room and I came up with following circuit to get a good sweat. (Note: One thing I learned from my trainer was to do things for time limits instead of reps. It helps you concentrate on breathing and form instead of speeding to completion. Better form is an overall better workout, so if you get tired, hold a position for 15 seconds instead of moving.)

This was one of my more unusual circuits and it lacked a little flow, similar to my dynamic workouts with my trainer. Goal is to get a new set of 8 lb. hand weights to do circuits at home with our punching bag.

What I listened to: Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D

  • Jumping Jacks - 1 minute
  • High-Step with 5 lb weight – 1 minute (hold weight by the ends and extend your arms straight in front)
  • Push-Ups – 30 seconds (whenever I do modified push-ups, I’ll go for 15 seconds more)
  • Oblique Crunch – 15 reps each side
  • Turn-n-touch* – 1 minute
  • One-Leg drops – 20 reps
  • Push-Ups – 30 seconds
  • Wall Squat – 1 minute
  • One-leg balanced Row with paint can as weight – 30 seconds on each side
  • High-Step with 5 lb weight – 30 seconds
  • Plank – 1 minute
  • Lateral Leg Lifts – 30 seconds each side
  • Squats with Paint Can (as kettle ball) – 45 seconds

*Turn n Touch with weight: in sit-up position, lift feet off the ground so that lower legs are parallel to the ground; hold weight between hands at chest level and keep your elbows out, twisting slowly to touch the weight to the left side, twisting slowly to the center, then twisting to the right and touching the weight to the ground, repeat. Use your core to keep the V position.

What kind of circuits are you doing at home and what are your tools?  What kind of workouts are in your repertoire?

No comments:

Post a Comment