Thursday, March 25, 2010

Oatmeal Meatballs

A few weeks ago I premade old fashioned oatmeal to eat at work, but after a few days I grew tired of the monotony and brought home the tub-o-oats and tossed it in the freezer.  I hate wasting food, so when I have leftovers I need to get creative.  And getting my fiancee to eat whole grains is like feeding a child - if he knows they're in something, he protests.  Thankfully, plain oatmeal is a great filler for a lot of things.

My fiancee, an avid runner, loves pasta.  Lately I've been watching my carb intake, but that doesn't mean I need to be pasta-less.To make the meal filling but not heavy, I've modified my meatballs to "beef " them up and stretch the ingredients.  Here is my recipe for Oatmeal Meatballs which I served with Rebekah's Sauce and Whole Foods spinach spaghetti.  I'll share Rebekah's sauce at a different time when I can fully describe it, but any homemade tomato sauce will do.  I'm using some leftover Rebekah's sauce that I froze from a month ago (still good!)  and mixing it up with some fresh ingredients.

Oatmeal Meatballs

Need:  Bowl for mixing, medium frying pan, pasta pot, oven-safe baking dish (I used a pie pan)

Ingredients:
1/2 - 1/3 lb 90% lean ground beef
1/2 cup left-over cooked plain oatmeal (bulgur wheat, groats, corn meal all work great)
1/4 cup finely shredded carrots
1/4 cup minced yellow onions
1 tbsp breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp italian herbs
1/2 tsp dried basil
olive oil
salt & pepper















Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix the ingredients above until thoroughly combined and shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Place the meatballs into the baking dish at least a quarter-inch apart. Drizzle olive oil over the meatballs and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.  Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until the insides are cooked thoroughly and show no pink.

















While the meatballs are baking, prepare homemade sauce.  Here's a doctored version of Rebekah's sauce that uses left over sauce, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1/4 of a yellow onion, and two cloves of garlic.  Sautee the onion and garlic, adding the tomatoes and the frozen sauce and simmer until the meatballs are ready.
















I prepared 1/2 lb  of spinach spaghetti (I had cooked the other half on two other occassions) according to the package directions.
















The meatballs turned out light, moist, and flavorful with a slight crunch to the outside.



I kept the presentation simple.  Create a small nest of pasta, place three meatballs, sauce.  Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro.

I love how this dish is full of bright, simple flavors.  The meatballs are delicate but filling... and you wouldn't even know that there are whole grains tucked away in there.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment